- For a page on how to use Wikipedia in bite-sized morsels, see Wikipedia:Tips; For advice on writing style and formatting in a bullet-point format, see Wikipedia:Styletips; For summaries of some Wikipedia protocols and conventions, see Wikipedia:Dos and don'ts; If you don't want to use wikitext markup, try Wikipedia:VisualEditor instead.
- You can format your text by using wiki markup. This consists of normal characters like asterisks, apostrophes or equal signs which have a special function in the wiki, sometimes depending on their position. For example, to format a word in italic, you include it in two pairs of apostrophes like 'this'.
MediaWiki is the software used for Wikipedia and many other Wiki projects. Everyone can contribute to a Wiki. Simply click on the link “Edit this page” on top of an article and start writing. This cheatsheet shows the basic formatting tricks. Wiki text Result 'italic' italic 'bold' bold 'bold and italic' bold and italic.
|Events – VRTS|
|Leaflet – Cheatsheet|
|Exhibitions – Presentations|
- See also the paper-sized Help:Reference card.
The Cheatsheet is aimed at Wikipedia newbies to help them learn the basic formatting rules. There are print versions you can distribute at conferences and events (if you need money for the printing, ask your local chapter or the Wikimedia Foundation).
If you would like to have a version in your language, you can translate the text below and contact Elian (if you need it urgently, please specify what you need it for and give me a deadline - otherwise it will take some time).
- Please note: these cheatsheets use an old version of the Foundation logo; please use the new (symmetric) version in any future printing
Wiki Cheat Sheet
- Arabic: description (Download)
- Basque: description/(Download)
- Chinese: description/(Download)
- Dutch: description/3x (Download)
- English: description (Download)
- French: description (Download)
- German: description/3x (Download)
- Hungarian: description (Download)/3x
- Italian: description (Download)
- Japanese: description 3x (Download)
- Polish: description/3x (Download)
- Portuguese description/3x (Download)
- Russian: description (Download)
- Spanish: description (Download)
- Swedish: description/3x (Download)
Text versions: ar ast ba ca de el en eo es eu fr gsw hu id it ja lt jv ko ms pl pt mr nl ro ru sah sl sv sw tr tt udm yue zh-hans zh-hant +/-